Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nam Long Hospital

Nam Long Hospital was a hospital in Hong Kong. Specializing in cancer treatment it closed in 2003 .

Matilda International Hospital

Matilda Hospital was built as a result of the last will and testament of Granville Sharp, the husband of Matilda.

Originally from the UK, the couple travelled a long way, encountering many adventures along their way, before arriving in Hong Kong.

The hospital admitted its first patients in 1907, at that time providing free care to mainly expatriates. The original building, which is still in use today, is outstandingly beautiful, as is the hospital's location on "the Peak" on Hong Kong island.

In the past it was known as the Matilda Memorial & War Hospital, but nowadays, it has been renamed Matilda International Hospital, and is a not-for-profit hospital serving all the people of Hong Kong and the wider region. It provides four core services: maternity, surgical, health assessment and health services.

A new clinic was opened in the Central area of Hong Kong to mark the hospital's centenary celebration in 2007.

Matilda International Hospital maintains very high clinical, governance and educational standards, and is surveyed and accredited bi-annually by the Trent Accreditation Scheme of the United Kingdom, a major international healthcare accreditation group.


Scenes in the Oscar-winning movie, "", were filmed at the Matilda hospital.

MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre

MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre is a and long term care hospital above Sandy Bay in Hong Kong. Founded in 1984 by the Hong Kong Society for Rehabilitation, it has 150 medical rehabilitation beds, including 20 beds for day rehabilitation service. It is affiliated with the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, the University of Hong Kong, providing clinical attachment opportunities for its medical students.

The hospital is named after former Governor of Hong Kong Murray MacLehose, Baron MacLehose of Beoch

List of hospitals in Hong Kong

This is a list of hospitals and other medical facilities in Hong Kong.

Hospitals and institutions managed by the Hospital Authority

Hong Kong West Cluster

*Tsan Yuk Hospital
*Tung Wah Hospital
*Tung Wah Group of Hospitals - Fung Yiu King Hospital
*The Duchess of Kent Children's Hospital at Sandy Bay
*MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre
*Grantham Hospital
*Nam Long Hospital

Hong Kong East Cluster

*Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital
*Tang Shiu Kin Hospital
*Ruttonjee Hospital
*Tung Wah Eastern Hospital
*St. John Hospital
*Cheshire Home, Chung Hom Kok
*Wong Chuk Hang Hospital

Kowloon Central Cluster

*Kowloon Hospital
*Hong Kong Buddhist Hospital
*HK Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service
*Hong Kong Eye Hospital
*Rehabaid Centre

Kowloon West Cluster

*Kwong Wah Hospital
*TWGHs Wong Tai Sin Hospital
*Our Lady of Maryknoll Hospital
*Caritas Medical Centre
*Kwai Chung Hospital
*Yan Chai Hospital

Kowloon East Cluster

*United Christian Hospital
*Haven of Hope Hospital
*Tseung Kwan O Hospital

New Territories East Cluster

*Prince of Wales Hospital
*Shatin Hospital
*Cheshire Home, Shatin
*Bradbury Hospice
*Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital
*Tai Po Hospital
*North District Hospital

New Territories West Cluster

*Tuen Mun Hospital
*Pok Oi Hospital
*Castle Peak Hospital
*Siu Lam Hospital

Private hospitals

*Hong Kong Adventist Hospital
*Hong Kong Baptist Hospital
*Hong Kong Central Hospital
*Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital
*Matilda International Hospital
*Precious Blood Hospital
*Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital

General Out-Patient Clinics

Hong Kong Island

*Aberdeen Jockey Club Clinic
*Sai Ying Pun Jockey Club General Outpatient Clinic
*Shau Kei Wan Jockey Club Clinic
*Violet Peel Health Centre


*Central Kowloon Health Centre
*Cheung Sha Wan Jockey Club General Out-patient Clinic
*Kwun Tong Jockey Club Health Centre
*Lady Trench General Out-patient Clinic
*Li Po Chun General Out-patient Clinic
*Robert Black General Out-patient Clinic
*Yau Ma Tei Jockey Club Clinic
*Ngau Tau Kok Jockey Club Health Centre

New Territorries

*Lek Yuen Health Centre
*Ma On Shan Health Centre
*Shek Wu Hui Jockey Club Clinic
*Tai Po Jockey Club Clinic
*Tseung Kwan O Po Ning Rd, Health Centre
*Tung Chung General Out-patient Clinic
*Tsing Yi Cheung Hong General Outpatient Clinic
*Tuen Mun Clinic
*Yuen Long Jockey Club Health Centre
*Tin Shui Wai Health Centre

Teaching Hospitals

University of Hong Kong

* The Duchess of Kent Children's Hospital at Sandy Bay
* Grantham Hospital
* MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre
* Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong
* Ruttonjee Hospital
* Tsan Yuk Hospital
* Tung Wah Hospital

Open University of Hong Kong

* Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital - Nursing
* Hong Kong Baptist Hospital - Nursing

of the Chinese University of Hong Kong

* Prince of Wales Hospital
* Hong Kong Eye Hospital
* Tai Po Hospital
* United Christian Hospital

Defunct hospitals

*British Military Hospital, Hong Kong
*Royal Naval Hospital

Kwong Wah Hospital

Kwong Wah Hospital is a major hospital in of Hong Kong. It is located at in Yau Ma Tei.

The hospital began in 1911 as a Chinese medicine hospital operated by a local charity body. After the hospital merged with Tung Wah Hospital and Tung Wah Eastern Hospital to form the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals, Kwong Wah gradually became a full scale hospital in both Chinese and Western medicine.

In the early days, the hospital offered medical service free of charge to those who could not afford it, with funding provided by local merchants. These traditions continue today.

The formly Main Hall Building of Kwong Wah Hospital is preserved and housing the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals Museum.


Ma Ying-jeou, the current President of the Republic of China, namely Chinese Nationalist Party, was born in this hospital in 1950. This information is displayed in the Museum in the Hospital.

Kwai Chung Hospital

Kwai Chung Hospital is a psychiatric hospital in Ha Kwai Chung, Hong Kong. Located near Princess Margaret Hospital, it provides 1372 psychiatric beds and serves the population of Kowloon, Kwai Chung, Tsing Yi, Tsuen Wan, Tung Chung and .

Apart from in-patient psychiatric services for adult psychiatric patients, it also develops psychiatric specialty services which include Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Services, Psychogeriatric Services, Community Psychiatry, Consultation Liaison Services, Substance Abuse Assessment Unit and Psychiatric Unit for Learning Disabilities.

The hospital also provides out-patient department and day hospital services for psychiatric patients in West Kowloon Psychiatric Centre, East Kowloon Psychiatric Centre and Yaumatei Psychiatric Centre.

The hospital is reachable by Lai King Hill Road.

Kowloon Hospital

Kowloon Hospital is a general care hospital at Prince Edward Road in Mong Kok of Kowloon in Hong Kong

The hospital used to be an acute hospital with accident and emergency service. It was later converted to a chronic hospital to provide extended supportive care to patients from . The hospital has specialist services in psychiatry, rehabilitation, respiratory medicine and geriatrics. The respiratory medicine unit provides teaching opportunities for medical students from the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong.

With 1,275 beds, the hospital was the first to establish a rehabilitation unit in Hong Kong.

Hospital Authority

The Hospital Authority is a statutory body managing all the public hospitals and institutes in Hong Kong. It is managed by the Hospital Authority Board and is under the monitor of the Secretary for Health, Welfare and Food of the HKSAR Government. Its current Chief Executive is Australian Shane Solomon who was previously the Executive Director of the Metropolitan Health and Aged Care Services in Victoria.


Before the establishment of the authority, all health and medical issues were under the management of the Medical and Health Department. In 1990, a new health administration system was introduced. The department became the and in 1991, the management of all the public hospitals was passed to a new statutory body, the Hospital Authority, which was established in 1990 under the Hospital Authority Ordinance. In 2003, the General Outpatient Clinics of Department of Health were transferred to the Authority.

2008 milk contamination

On the day when a Hong Kong girl was diagnosed as the territory's first victim of the 2008 baby milk scandal, anxious parents were frustrated to discover that doctors at the special unit set up at the were taking the day off. Deputy Director of Health Gloria Tam said that it was "not something so urgent that it needs to be dealt with in 24 hours... They can go during office hours tomorrow". Medical sector legislator Leung Ka-lau said the lack of daily cover during the crisis was "insensitive". While the first victim left hospital after successful treatment one day later, two more children were admitted to hospital on 22 September; the Hospital Authority was reportedly overwhelmed when over 100 parents demanding check-ups for their children at Princess Margaret amids confusion about referrals and registration procedures, causing Secretary for Food and Health, York Chow to grovel for having underestimated the problem. Chow pledged 18 additional facilities around Hong Kong would be operational the next day.

Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital

Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital , or HKSH, is a private hospital established in 1922 in , Hong Kong.

It is one of the most famous of the Hong Kong hospitals, renowned for its high quality hospital services and comfortable accommodation for patients. All clients can also choose their own doctors and consultation time. The hospital has more than 400 beds and various room types and facilities. It also has a 24 hours outpatient consultation service.

HKSH has a strong School of Nursing, affiliated with The Open University of Hong Kong, which trains nurses up to degree level. It is also affiliated with the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong and provides clinical attachment opportunities for UoHK medical students.

HKSH maintains very high clinical, governance and educational standards, and is surveyed and accredited bi-annually by the Trent Accreditation Scheme of the United Kingdom, a major international healthcare accreditation group.

The Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital, with over 400 beds is a general hospital owned by Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital Limited, a private sector enterprise, celebrated its 85th Anniversary in 2007.

The Hospital, when formed in 1922 and known then as The Yeung Wo Nursing Home, was organized by a leading group of Chinese medical practitioners and prominent residents of Hong Kong. The aim was to provide hospital facilities for the Chinese community and to provide accessible accommodation for the patients to be cared for by their own doctors.

" The Happy Retreat", at that time a most popular public amusement centre in Happy Valley, was acquired by the organizers for the purpose. After renovating the two existing buildings which were included in the purchase, the Hospital opened its doors in September 1922 with 28 beds.

Four years after the opening, a landslip occurred at the hill slope behind the two buildings and caused considerable damage. The Nursing Home had to be closed for some six months in order that the premises could be made habitable for admission of patients.

The Board of Directors at that time considered that for the number of patients to increase, a good surgeon would have to be found. Dr. Li Shu Fan, who had just returned to Hong Kong after serving as head of Kung Yee University Medical School in Canton, was chosen. Subsequently, in 1926, Dr. Li was elected to head and to re-organise Yeung Wo. It was under his leadership that the name of the nursing home was changed to its present form i.e. Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital. From then on and for the ensuing 40 years he held the twin positions of Chairman of the Board and Medical Superintendent. He died on 24th November 1966. Soon after, Dr. Li Shu Pui assumed the mantle of leadership when he was elected Chairman of the Board of Directors and appointed Medical Superintendent to continue the management of the Hospital. Dr. Li Shu Pui was first elected a director of the Hospital's Board in 1929 and was appointed additionally as Assistant Superintendent in 1936. He therefore served the Hospital in a leadership capacity for seventy years. Dr. Li Shu Pui died on 31st August 2005 and Dr. Walton Li Wai Tat has succeeded him as the Chairman of the Board of Directors and Medical Superintendent of the Hospital.

Hong Kong Central Hospital

Hong Kong Central Hospital is a non-profit, general private hospital located in the area of Hong Kong Island.

The hospital's services include a large number of specialties which cover a very broad area of medicine.

HKCH is a member of the Hong Kong Private Hospitals Association . It is surveyed bi-annually by the Trent Accreditation Scheme, a UK-based major international healthcare accreditation scheme.

Hong Kong Baptist Hospital

Founded in 1963, Hong Kong Baptist Hospital is a large private sector hospital located in the Kowloon area of Hong Kong.

HKBH is one of the social service institutions of the Baptist Church Convention of Hong Kong. It is wholly self-financing and non-profit-taking. It provides a very wide range of in-patient and out-patient services and is well-regarded not only in Hong Kong but also in China - for example, among Hong Kong's private sector hospitals HKBH has the most mainland expectant mothers giving birth .

HKBH has an active nursing school and is committed to educational development. It recently became affiliated with the Open University of Hong Kong, which will enable nurses to be trained up to degree standard .

Hong Kong Baptist Hospital is enthusiastically involved in international healthcare accreditation, and for many years it has been subjected to rigorous bi-annual survey by the UK's Trent Accreditation Scheme.

Hong Kong Adventist Hospital

Hong Kong Adventist Hospital is one of two in Hong Kong, the other being Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital. It is a private sector hospital, and is located on Hong Kong Island. It provides a very wide range of services.

Hong Kong Adventist Hospital is subject to international healthcare accreditation, having for many years been surveyed and accredited by the UK's Trent Accreditation Scheme, and more recently also been assessed by Joint Commission International from the USA.

Grantham Hospital

Grantham Hospital is a specialist cardiothoracic hospital specialised located at Wong Chuk Hang and is part of the cluster. It is a tertiary referral centre providing specialist service in cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology, paediatric cardiology, tuberculosis & chest medicine and cardio-pulmonary infirmary. In 2003 and 2004, palliative medicine and acute geriatrics service were set up respectively after Nam Long Hospital has been closed down in December 2003.

The hospital is founded in 1957 by the Hong Kong Tuberculosis, Chest and Heart Diseases Association and renamed for Alexander Grantham, a former Governor of Hong Kong. It has 496 beds and staff of 800.

The hospital is affiliated with the Medical faculty of the University of Hong Kong, providing clinical attachment opportunities for its medical students. The University's divisions of cardiothoracic surgery, cardiology and paediatric cardiology have their bases here. However, it has been proposed that these acute services will be relocated to the in the coming future for better and more efficient use of resources. Grantham Hospital will then become a hospital dedicated to chronic and palliative care.

Evangel Hospital Hong Kong

Evangel Hospital in Hong Kong is a private hospital established in 1965. It was founded jointly by the Evangelical Free Church of America and the Evangelical Free Church of China.

Evangel Hospital is particularly strong in the primary care field of medicine.

The hospital is a member of the Hong Kong Private Hospitals Association , and is surveyed bi-annually by the Trent Accreditation Scheme, a UK-based major international healthcare accreditation scheme.

Evangel Hospital is located in the Kowloon area of Hong Kong.

Cheshire Home

The Cheshire Home, Shatin was founded by the Hong Kong Cheshire Home Foundation in 1991 and is currently under the management of the Hospital Authority. It is an extended care hospital with 296 beds providing infirmary care for the severely disabled patients who need long-term treatment / care and infirmary patients from the Central Infirmary Waiting List.

With a staff of 172, the hospital provides services including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work service and X-ray. Speech therapy and dietetic service are also available. The home also provides mid-way accommodation for disabled residents to help them re-integrate into the community. There is also respite service for disabled people living with their families.

A homely environment is offered in the chalets with domestic appliances like washing machine, home furniture, etc. To enhance the patient's sense of belonging, residents of the Disabled Unit are encouraged to participate in the daily management of their own activities and livelihood. Residents whose conditions permit are helped to adjust back to living in the community.

Cheshire Home encourages patients to actively participate in community, recreational and religious activities run with the assistance of volunteers. Some residents are working in sheltered workshops.

"Activities of Daily Living Assessment & Training Room" was set up for preparing disabled persons re-integration into mainstream society. The physiotherapy satellite gymnasia were set up to enhance rehabilitation. Other facilities like outdoor activity ground, roof top garden and wheelchair training track allow more choices for patients' activities and exercise. Wireless nurse call system and ceiling hoist system were installed to enhance patient's safety and mobility. All patient toilets were renovated with upgraded facilities. More and more electrically operated beds are put in use by residents to enhance and encourage self-mobility.

Castle Peak Hospital

Castle Peak Hospital is the oldest and the most well known psychiatric hospital in Hong Kong. Located at the east of in Tuen Mun, the hospital was established in 1961. Currently, the Hospital has more than 1400 beds, provides variety of psychiatric services such as forensic psychiatry, psychogeriatric services, rehabilitation, consultation-liaison psychiatry, substance abuse treatments, etc. All wards in the hospital are equipped to accept both voluntary and involuntary admitted patients.

Caritas Medical Centre

Caritas Medical Centre is a hospital founded in Cheung Sha Wan, New Kowloon, Hong Kong in 1964. It is the major hospital in Sham Shui Po District and managed by the Hospital Authority and Caritas Hong Kong.


Founded by Caritas-Hong Kong in 1964, Caritas Medical Centre is an acute general hospital with around 1,100 beds situated in Shamshuipo. It provides a full range of acute and rehabilitation care, ambulatory and community medical services, including a 24-hour accident and emergency service, general outpatient service, and inpatient and outpatient specialist services in a one-stop setting - so called single episode care. The hospital maintains close ties with its parent organization, Caritas-Hong Kong, and a strong Catholic culture under the motto "Love in the Service of Hope".


The hospital has well-developed supporting services, including Pathology, Radiology, Anaesthesiology and Allied Health services. Other ambulatory and outreach community services include Geriatric Day Hospital and Community Geriatric Assessment Team, Community Nursing service, and Palliative Home Care service. The services provided reflect the needs of the population served - ageing, low income, new immigrants.

Caritas Medical Centre is the referral centre of the Kowloon West Cluster of the Hospital Authority in Eye service serving the entire Kowloon west region. The Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Service for Kowloon West Cluster is also based at Caritas Medical Centre. The Palliative Care Unit serves patients referred from hospitals of the Kowloon West Cluster. The hospital runs the largest Unit for the entire territory of Hong Kong, to provide severely mentally-handicapped patients under the age of 16 with treatment, training and development in a home-like setting. Despite not being a university hospital, it does provide teaching opportunities for medical and nursing students from the two local medical faculties.

Future Development

To meet the ever increasing demand and expectation in medical services, Caritas Medical Centre has started a major re-development project which has its phase I completed in 2002 - a 14-storey new block, Wai Shun Block, for accommodating all acute services. Planning for re-development of the rest of the facilities of the hospital has already started, with completion date planned in 2010.

Canossa Hospital, Hong Kong

Canossa Hospital was founded in 1929 by the Canossian Daughters of Charity, a Roman Catholic Christian Order.

It is a private hospital in Hong Kong. Since 1991, it has been operated by Caritas, Hong Kong.

Today Canossa Hospital is a modern and well-established hospital located on Hong Kong Island with first rate equipment and an extensive range of specialisations.

All patients are treated and cared for regardless of colour, race or creed.

A companion hospital, Precious Blood Hospital, is located in Kowloon and is also managed by Caritas.

Canossa Hospital maintains very high clinical, governance and educational standards and is a member of Hong Kong Private Hospitals Association.

Canossa is surveyed and accredited bi-annually by the Trent Accreditation Scheme of the United Kingdom, a major international healthcare accreditation group.

British Military Hospital, Hong Kong

The British Military Hospital was a hospital in Hong Kong for the use of the . It was located at Bowen Road for over 60 years, from 1907 to 1967. It was built between 1903 and 1906, and officially opened on July 1, 1907.

Often referred to simply as the Bowen Road Hospital, the first generation hospital was a 150 bed hospital constructed of red brick. It consisted of two blocks, each of 3 storeys, configured with wards and a central administrative block and had commanding views of .

During the , a portion of the Hospital was used for the care of . It continued in use until 1967, when it was turned over to the colonial government. The facility was moved to a site in Kowloon.

Post de-commissioning

Between 1967 and 1972, it became the temporary location for the new Island School, which had obtained a 5-year lease from the Government. The east wing is now home to the Carmel School, and the occupied the west wing of the building from 1994 to 1999, when the Canadian school moved to new premises in Aberdeen.

Former hospital buildings on the adjacent site on Borrett Road, vacated in 1969, were used by the Chinese International School during the 1980s. 10 Borlett Road became the first home to the West Island School, from 1991 to 1994, and is being used by the Island School.

In the 1986 Mid Levels Plan, the site was zoned to become open space. In May 2001, the Town Planning Board re-zoned it to "government, community and institutional use" on the recommendation of the Planning Department and the Antiquities and Monuments Office, allowing the buildings to be preserved.

King's Park

In 1967, a new 15-storey British Military Hospital was opened in the area, on a site to the east of the , to replace the Bowen Road Hospital. It used to provide medical treatment for servicemen and their dependents, and returning soldiers from .

When the British armed forces suffered a 15% reduction between 1975 and 1978, the Government proposed to use the hospital as an overspill for the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, which was in undercapacity. It would buy bedspace and treatment from the Hospital, but the high cost was criticised as lacking in transparency, and unreasonably high.

Within the , there was a consensus to demolish it. It was officially closed on June 30, 1996 as the British Garrison scaled down from more than 10,000 personnel to about 3,000 due to the approach of 1997.

Post de-commissioning

Between 1996 and 1999, the Hospital was turned over to the Philippine Consulate-General as a refuge for dismissed domestic workers, for a token lease of HK$1.

The 7.4 hectare site had an estimated market value of 5.6 billion in 1995.

Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital

Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital is a hospital in Tai Po of the New Territories of Hong Kong.


The Alice Memorial Hospital was originally founded by missionaries in 1887. The hospital structure was built by a donation from Dr. Ho Kai in memory of this wife Alice.
She died of typhoid fever two years after her arrival in Hong Kong. Two other hospitals, the "Nethersole Hospital" and "Ho Miu Ling Hospital", were commissioned in 1893 and 1906 respectively. The three hospitals were then incorporated by Ordinance under the name of the "Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital" in 1954.

The hospital has a long history and is one of early hospitals in Hong Kong; it celebrated its 120th Anniversity in 2007. It is the first hospital in Hong Kong offering free western medicine to the Chinese community; it was also the first teaching hospital for training Hong Kong people to become western doctors.


The hospital was originally located in below Mid-Levels on Hong Kong Island, but it re-located to Chai Wan in 1993 and finally to Tai Po in 1997. The Hong Kong Island site was replaced by the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in 1993 in Chai Wan.


In Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences, there is a gallery, named as Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Gallery, displaying the historic items from the hospital.