The Alice Memorial Hospital was originally founded by missionaries in 1887. The hospital structure was built by a donation from Dr. Ho Kai in memory of this wife Alice.
She died of typhoid fever two years after her arrival in Hong Kong. Two other hospitals, the "Nethersole Hospital" and "Ho Miu Ling Hospital", were commissioned in 1893 and 1906 respectively. The three hospitals were then incorporated by Ordinance under the name of the "Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital" in 1954.
The hospital has a long history and is one of early hospitals in Hong Kong; it celebrated its 120th Anniversity in 2007. It is the first hospital in Hong Kong offering free western medicine to the Chinese community; it was also the first teaching hospital for training Hong Kong people to become western doctors.
The hospital was originally located in below Mid-Levels on Hong Kong Island, but it re-located to Chai Wan in 1993 and finally to Tai Po in 1997. The Hong Kong Island site was replaced by the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in 1993 in Chai Wan.
In Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences, there is a gallery, named as Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Gallery, displaying the historic items from the hospital.