Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital , or HKSH, is a private hospital established in 1922 in , Hong Kong.
It is one of the most famous of the Hong Kong hospitals, renowned for its high quality hospital services and comfortable accommodation for patients. All clients can also choose their own doctors and consultation time. The hospital has more than 400 beds and various room types and facilities. It also has a 24 hours outpatient consultation service.
HKSH has a strong School of Nursing, affiliated with The Open University of Hong Kong, which trains nurses up to degree level. It is also affiliated with the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong and provides clinical attachment opportunities for UoHK medical students.
HKSH maintains very high clinical, governance and educational standards, and is surveyed and accredited bi-annually by the Trent Accreditation Scheme of the United Kingdom, a major international healthcare accreditation group.
The Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital, with over 400 beds is a general hospital owned by Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital Limited, a private sector enterprise, celebrated its 85th Anniversary in 2007.
The Hospital, when formed in 1922 and known then as The Yeung Wo Nursing Home, was organized by a leading group of Chinese medical practitioners and prominent residents of Hong Kong. The aim was to provide hospital facilities for the Chinese community and to provide accessible accommodation for the patients to be cared for by their own doctors.
" The Happy Retreat", at that time a most popular public amusement centre in Happy Valley, was acquired by the organizers for the purpose. After renovating the two existing buildings which were included in the purchase, the Hospital opened its doors in September 1922 with 28 beds.
Four years after the opening, a landslip occurred at the hill slope behind the two buildings and caused considerable damage. The Nursing Home had to be closed for some six months in order that the premises could be made habitable for admission of patients.
The Board of Directors at that time considered that for the number of patients to increase, a good surgeon would have to be found. Dr. Li Shu Fan, who had just returned to Hong Kong after serving as head of Kung Yee University Medical School in Canton, was chosen. Subsequently, in 1926, Dr. Li was elected to head and to re-organise Yeung Wo. It was under his leadership that the name of the nursing home was changed to its present form i.e. Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital. From then on and for the ensuing 40 years he held the twin positions of Chairman of the Board and Medical Superintendent. He died on 24th November 1966. Soon after, Dr. Li Shu Pui assumed the mantle of leadership when he was elected Chairman of the Board of Directors and appointed Medical Superintendent to continue the management of the Hospital. Dr. Li Shu Pui was first elected a director of the Hospital's Board in 1929 and was appointed additionally as Assistant Superintendent in 1936. He therefore served the Hospital in a leadership capacity for seventy years. Dr. Li Shu Pui died on 31st August 2005 and Dr. Walton Li Wai Tat has succeeded him as the Chairman of the Board of Directors and Medical Superintendent of the Hospital.